Folks, I am so so happy to share this recipe with you. The flavors melded together so well, it was colorful, and filling. Plus it smelled fantastic while it was cooking and even on the plate. To be honest, I’m a little surprised at myself for creating it. Go me 😉
Balsamic-Glazed Turnips with Kale (serves 4)
4 medium turnips, peeled and diced
2 carrots, diced
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp ground coriander
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar, plus extra to taste
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion slices and 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. This will take 5-10 minutes.
2. Add the carrots and turnips. Add the red wine vinegar, and I added another splash of balsamic vinegar. Also add the salt and sugar.
3. Add 1 cup of water and cover. This will help the vegetables to cook quicker. Cook, stirring every so often, until water is almost absorbed.
4. Add the kale, and cover. Cook until liquid is absorbed. At this time, if the kale is still not done, add a little more water (1/4 cup at a time) until it is tender.
5. Serve over grain of choice (I used Israeli couscous) and drizzle with a little more balsamic vinegar.
I served this alongside broccoli with a little Earth Balance, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. The whole meal was completely satisfying.